I was at St Lukes today and I saw a guy who’s in a band. A band that’s doing rather well for itself and was even given a full page profile in the last year’s rock issue of The Face. And there he was at this really un-rock mall. Yet he looked undeniably like a rock star. It was like he had this bubble of coolness surrounding him. I, however, felt like a daggy housewife. I was on a mission to get some of that shampoo that doesn’t encourage my hair to frizz up.
Today at the Mind Control Cult (MCC), the Charismatic Cult Leader (CCL) said that people who are all like “oh, I have found enlightenment and inner peace” are deluding themselves and that they are denying all the inevitable shit feelings. You need to come down to earth and feel the dirt between your toes. Ok, that’s a big paraphrase, but it’s all about the meaning, maaan.
It was announced today that M2 will be stopped the weekend after next. Oh, I will miss the late night music video delights. Particularly all the cool homemade videos on Number 8. I have a feeling that it’s going to be replaced with a different type of music video show. This is a good thing because there were parts of M2 that weren’t working. The top 12 was always dominated by the same songs every week, month after month, and it just got boring. DJ Sammy fans also need to feel loved and wanted, unfortunately.
* It’s interesting how The Vines CD – which normally has a green cover, with a hippyish design involving green vines – has a plastic overwrap with a different cover design. It’s black with red squiggles. Less hippyish and far more rock ‘n’ roll.
* I bought a cool shirt today. Actually, it’s only partially cool because I couldn’t get it in the size I wanted, but I don’t care. It may be my BDO shirt.
* I was just thinking about how people plan well in advance what they will wear to the Big Day Out. Ten years ago (shit) at the first BDO in Auckland, I remember all the alterno-boys showing up with blue and green food colouring in their hair. That was also in the days before cheap cell phones, so when I got separated from my friend during Head Like A Hole, I just had to wander around for a couple of hours before I happened to find her. Things were smaller back then, only two stages, no dance music tent. That was also when “smart drinks” were big (and about three years before energy drinks showed up). I had two and I don’t think I got any smarter.
* The Alt Dot show on M2 needs to change. It seems bogged down by all that dreary indie music that is too busy either a) trying to be like Radiohead or b) trying to be artistic and serious, that it forgets about being not-boring. Like, if M2 want people to watch it (more viewers = more expensive advertising rates = less of those adult chatline ads), then they need to stop sending people to sleep at 2.45 am.
* Actually, I know that M2 has an anti-pop policy, but it’d be nice to see some good pop videos. I mean, I know it’s nice to diss pop and use words like “manufactured” and “soulless”, but there’s a lot of pop that isn’t shit. I want to see the new Justin Timberlake video so much more than I want to see a video of a guy playing his guitar, hanging his head, singing in monotone.